Saturday, October 23, 2010

Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice!

It has been about two and a half weeks since I have moved to Jerusalem and I am loving the change of pace. Now that I started working and have gotten into a routine, I feel less and less like a tourist and more and more like I live here. One of the things I love of about living here is the Machane Yehudah market. Being able to go to the market and bargain over the freshest, fruits and vegetables, spices, and everything you could possibly need is truly amazing. The market is loud and busy, but that is what makes it amazing.






Starting work has also been really good. Finally working in the museum of my dreams and I am loving it. Everyday being able to walk around the collections just makes me really happy. I have great co-workers which makes the day go by faster even when I am doing boring computer work.

This past thursday was my birthday and I could not have asked for it to turn out better. The day started off with two of roomates waking up at the crack of dawn to catch me before I left the apartment and sang me happy birthday with a cake and all. It really was such a nice surprise. Then I got picked up to join an archaeological survey of a new site. Being able to spend my birthday doing archaeology was so awesome. We found some really cool things, and it just reminded me how much I really love it. After coming back exhausted from the survey, I cleaned up and went to downtown Jerusalem with my new friends to celebrate. It truly was amazing how many people showed up and I was so honoured. If I had to be away from my closest friends and family on my birthday, this was the only way to do it.  To top it all off, I hosted shabbat for a few of the people who came in from Tel Aviv for my birthday and it was really nice to be able to see people I haven't in a couple of weeks, and we all know how much I love cooking for a crowd :)

No comments:

Post a Comment