Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Aliya, Archaeology, and everything in between

So much is going through my mind right now and I feel like I need to get a few things off my chest. About a week ago I started my aliya application with Nefesh B'Nefesh. For a while I have been thinking about aliya, but I was always a little aprehensive about the commitment. After spending the past 2 and a half months living and working in Israel, I realized that this is the only place for me. I feel so much more at peace here, and the opportunities in my line of work are greater. This evening, as I was giving a friend a tour of the archaeology wing at the museum, I got a call from Nefesh B'Nefesh about my application. I guess this is the first moment where it felt real. It was something tangible and no longer just a dream or desire. I just had one of those moments where you realize the gravity of the decisions you make in life. It is a crazy but awesome feeling.

Yesterday I also had a crazy freak out moment in the gallery. I had been sent upstairs to look at something in the gallery and noticed on display is the ostracon found at Khirbet Qeiyafa. Two years ago, I made the lat minute decision to join the excavation, and have never looked back since then. Aside from the Indiana Jones complex, my desire to go on a dig was to see how objects go from being buried in he ground to being on display in a museum. I was extremely fortunate to be involved with the dig at the time of the discovery of the ostracon. When I finally saw the ostracon on display I had that feeling that things had finally come full circle. I had finally fulfilled that desire to see an object from its finding to its display.

I have been on a personal and professional journey for some time now, and it is great to be able to stop and positively reflect on all that is happening to me.

Keep the adventures coming :)

No comments:

Post a Comment